Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Lawnmower Effect

Regardless of what style of recording you will be doing, if you fail to meet these simple requirements, YOU WILL MOST LIKELY FAIL! Recording audio is easy if you just follow a few rules. If you skip them, then your audio will suffer.
MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Italy

Lawnmower Effect

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Dana,
I am not yet able to even out the sound of my recording through either compression or limiting or a combination of both.
In the attached chapter I recorded, there are parts of the reading where excitement is naturally higher, so there peaks really stand out.
The problem is that, no matter how I set compressor and limiter, the result is a perfect "lawnmower" effect.
My input level for recording was set at around -18dBs with peaks at around -3dBs.

My desidered final amplitude should be at -18LUFS and True Peak at -1dB but, to achieve that, my processing always results into a lawnmower effect.

Would you please help me? Thank you so much in advance. Here follows the link to my recording

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:20 am

Hey Marco, I think your audio sounds great. Using compression will make your dynamics worse as well as help add the lawnmower effect you are speaking of. The fact that you also use a condenser mic, makes everything even worse, as it is very hard to control the peaks. One of the best ways to control the dynamics of your audio, is to use a peak limiter, instead of a brick limiter. Brick limiters are notorious for producing the lawn mover effect as well. I just bought a new dynamic headset mic. I have three more coming tomorrow. They are the same mic, but do not have the headphones attached. I will do a quick video for you using this new mic and show you how I avoid this issue, using a dynamic mic, peak limiter, a gate and Reaper. BRB.
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Italy

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:00 am

Thank you my friend for your words.
After sending you my post yesterday I remembered that time ago you uploaded a video on your Youtube channel regarding Loudness Range and how to fix it in Reaper.
So...I followed your hints and instruction and, with the help of Trileveler plugin I came up with the following final result which, in my opinion, seems, very very good. This file would meet the requirements of the organization for which I am currently reading audiobooks.
This chapter involves a dialoguie between a man and an "evil" God...the God of Money...so some sort of "Demon". Therefore I adjusted my voice in the parts of the dialogue pertaining to the demon, so that voice could seems like the one coming from an evil entity....

What do you think about the result?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:52 am

That audio is FANTASTIC! That is how you get $480.00 per finished hour Brother. That is how you get locked into an author that wants you to record part 2,3 and 4! Did you use the pitch shiftier? Reaper has three now with the latest update. I was playing around with it this morning after listening to your clip.

Troll.mp3
(570 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Italy

Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:39 am

Hi Dana,
you cannot even imagine how much happy I am after reading your comments!
I hope I succeeded to finally come up with my "perfect" pst-production chain of effects and operations.
I wish I could get inside this business my friend but it seems it is not yet easily available for me. I'd love it was. :-((((((

Anyway, your recording is very nice and the Troll voice is really appropriate! Amazing!

Yes, I used a Pitch Shifter plugin in Adobe Audition and some Delay and after playing quite a bit with settings that was the result.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity & Reaper
Mics: Shure SM58
United States of America

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:40 pm

What a mesmerizing performance!
I've got to believe that keeping on working hard in the "small" areas will lead to open doors eventually. I am finding that in my life. Please do not give up!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Italy

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:05 pm

Thank you so much thestorygirl.
Your words make me blush ....
Yes...I Will not give up...I Will never do that...and your words are a strong encouragement for me.
Thank you from my heart.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Italy

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi Dana, Hi thestorygirl,

well I just would like to know from you experienced people with well-trained ears which one of the two short clips I am enclosing here you do prefer.
I applied two slightly different post-production fx chains to these files, which are taken from a recording I made.
I am really looking forward to hearing your comments, suggestions and whatever else you feel like to write. Thank you !!

Clip 1

Clip 2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:18 am

I think they both sound good. I still do not recommend using compression, with your voice, you do not need it. All you gained by using compression was 4/10s of 1db as well as 0.06db closer LRA.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Italy

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:25 am

Thank you my friend