Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Your Experience with ACX?

This is the forum for discussing the requirements concerning the ACX as well as other on-line publishers. This forum also covers voice over procedures.
Forum rules
Please list your audio equipment in your profile. This will help us help you, concerning any audio issues you may have.
thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity :(
Mics: Blue Yeti :(
United States of America

Your Experience with ACX?

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Dana, I was wondering about your experience with the ACX? I know you've had some recording opportunities with them (so cool!) Have you worked in other capacities with them? How long?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:13 am

I have be a producer with them for close to 3 years now. Most people that narrate for the ACX who are just starting out, use other people to polish their recordings to meet the ACX requirements. Then you have others who just want to record and leave the post production to someone else due to time requirements. Over on the Audacity Official Forum, they say it is a 4 to 1 ratio. For every 1 hr of recording, will take 4 hrs to produce in post production.

I find it to be more like a 2 to 1 ratio. People do not realize that there are two set of parameters you must pass. The robotic process that will check your recording for the proper requirements and then the person who will have the final evaluation. You can pass the first and fail the second. I have set up hundreds of Churches with sound systems as well as recording gear so they could get their message out to the 4 corners of the earth. Many are going with video streaming these days as well. It was a simple thing to cross over from recording Preachers to recording a single person. The process is just about identical.

My home studio will be set up for narration as well as instrumental and Choir recordings. Once we get moved down, I will place an ad looking for local talent concerning narration. I will do test recordings and place them on line. I will then seek out the authors and let them hear the examples I have and if they choose one of the narrators, the gig is on. I contract the job and ACX pays me and I pay the narrator. I just started the website for my home studio and I will post a link when I get more information placed on line.
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm

That is interesting! Is this called a casting director? Or agent?

I have been watching a lot of the youtube show "VO Buzz Weekly" and am addicted! If you've never seen it, they have successful guests from all walks of the VO world. I'm learning all I can-- they have a ton of useful advice and tips.
My New Year's Resolution for 2018 is to put my pedal to the medal as far as pursuing my commitment to VO. I'm not sure what my niche is yet, but I'm sure I will find it along the way. Of course, I am starting by getting my recording site as pro. as I can get it. So, I'm really grateful for the help you've given me!
I am taking an acting course from Great Courses (at home), but I know in person with other students would be much better and I will as soon as I can afford it.
I have my sights set on ACX next, but I'm uncertain as to what else I need to learn. They say you'll know when you're ready, but I don't think I am. Would you have any advice?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:41 pm

A casting director has a list of clients that could fill many roles. Once I get my studio set up and do my initial interviews, I will wear that hat as well. At this time, I am labeled as a production studio as well as a narrator. This requires two different accounts. I am excited that you are driving forward with your goals. I am also glad that I may be able to help you reach some of them as well. That is why I like to start at the very beginning. Once someone gets a few basic principals down, they will be able to build on that foundation. ;) p.s. I added a link to VO Buzz in the external links forum. Thanks for the info and I will check them out as time permits.
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sat May 19, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi, I posted these questions elsewhere, but then thought I'd better put them here instead: (If you want them under Private Message, I'm okay with that, too.)

There are some things I'm worrying about, even while excited!
1) Is it difficult contacting WHOEVER it is you're to be in contact with if you win an audition and record for them? Who's who? I see rights holder, producers, authors, publishers, agents...

Do you need to negotiate with them? LEGAL DOCUMENTS; CONTRACTS --That's scary to me!

2) I've heard vague references to making sure you choose profitable projects. As someone who sells books on Amazon, I'm assuming this probably has to do with past history sales rank of the hard copy or e-version?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:47 pm
Hi, I posted these questions elsewhere, but then thought I'd better put them here instead: (If you want them under Private Message, I'm okay with that, too.)

There are some things I'm worrying about, even while excited!
1) Is it difficult contacting WHOEVER it is you're to be in contact with if you win an audition and record for them? Who's who? I see rights holder, producers, authors, publishers, agents...
It is very easy to contact the person that is requesting the narration. I will post a video in about 5 mins in this forum.
Do you need to negotiate with them? LEGAL DOCUMENTS; CONTRACTS --That's scary to me!
The contracts are very basic and simple. You agree to do the narration for a fixed price, (PFH) or for a percentage per copy sold. You will also be tied to a deadline to have the work completed. That's it.
2) I've heard vague references to making sure you choose profitable projects. As someone who sells books on Amazon, I'm assuming this probably has to do with past history sales rank of the hard copy or e-version?
This is explained in the video as well. There is a very simple way to check how the book is doing. Like any other business just starting, it is best to have something under your belt even if it does not pay as well as what you expect to make 6 months from now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Mon May 21, 2018 7:06 pm

greatjob

Dana, you're great!
Thanks!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:06 pm
greatjob

Dana, you're great!
Thanks!
That my friend, would depend on who you asked. Thanks for the Kudos. innocent

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic