Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Units Sold & My Process Concerning The ACX.

This is the forum for discussing the requirements concerning the ACX as well as other on-line publishers. This forum also covers voice over procedures.
Forum rules
Please list your audio equipment in your profile. This will help us help you, concerning any audio issues you may have.
Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Units Sold & My Process Concerning The ACX.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:54 am

As of September 10, 2018, one of the books I narrated has sold 111 times. I just submitted a new audition this morning, concerning the proper way to plant trees. I will update this post as soon as I know anything.
Units-Sold.jpg
Units-Sold.jpg (106.08 KiB) Viewed 274 times
Units-Sold.jpg
Units-Sold.jpg (106.08 KiB) Viewed 274 times

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:37 am

Well. they excepted my audition. From the time of submission to the time of acceptance, was about 5 hrs. So why am I writing about this? Well, there are some very valid points that I want to point our concerning auditions and how to respond to them.

1. Any time you submit an audition, you need to make sure that not only does it need to meet the ACX requirements, but you also need to be able to recreate that same recording environment.

2. You need to have a written introduction letter that highlights your skills, equipment as well as your ability to proceed with the project. This is what I supply with all my audio auditions.
Hello, my name is Dana Tucker. I would love the opportunity to work with you on your project. I operate two recording studios in Virginia specify designed for voice over/narration work. I use a Shure SM 7b dynamic microphone powered by a Tascam US 16 x 8 preamp that goes into a Zoom H6 Digital Recorder.

I use Reaper to mix and master my audio and my average noise floor is around a -90dbs. I take the time to read through your script looking for missing or double phrases as well as spelling errors.

My e-mail gets pushed to my iPhone every 15 minutes and I am very consistent with replying back as soon as I am contacted. My business hours are from 3 am till 6 pm, Monday through Friday, EST. However, I am on call to my clients 24/7.

I look forward to hearing from you concerning this project or any other project you may have. I also do audio production work at a very reasonable rate. You can visit my website at www.DanaTucker.Com.
Now this is the wonderful thing about your cover letter. You do not need to have two studios or equipment worth thousands of dollars. You do however need to have the proper experience as well as professional equipment as most authors, will take the time to look them up. Be honest and truthful and you should have no problem getting your foot into the door. If you are using a $28.00 mic off of eeeeeebay, they will most likely pass you by. If you are wondering why I mentioned about proof reading and double phrases, it is due to 2 authors asking me if I included this in my services. At the time I did not, now I do.

If you look at the picture below, I do and have always done everything the ACX has recommended. It is their ball game and you need to play by their rules.

dl.jpg
dl.jpg (208.48 KiB) Viewed 272 times
dl.jpg
dl.jpg (208.48 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity :(
Mics: Blue Yeti :(
United States of America

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Thank you for this template and advice!
And congratulations on your success!
:D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks! I will start on it around 2am. Hopefully, Dulles International Airport will be calmed down by then.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:22 pm

:) Do you think you'll be able to record in the middle of the hurricane?
I do hope you and your family will be safe. I know some people from North Carolina who had to evacuate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:26 pm

It is not supposed to effect us till late Thursday evening. That is why I am starting this morning. Thanks for keeping us in mind. I did request a two week extension from the Publisher due to the approaching storm. They granted it without a second thought. The first 15 mins was due today and the rest by the 19th. If all goes well, I will not need the extension but it is always good to have it, just in case.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:55 am

OK, this is phase two. This morning I narrated the open and closing credits. If you look at the picture below, you will see that they will provide you with the information you need. I also recorded the Introduction and chapter 1. I took part of chapter 1 and made it into my retail sample that is also required. The second step in this process is that you must upload a 15 min sample that will be checked via the ACX automated service as well as the Author/Publisher. Once I hear back from them, I can proceed. I have marked the pic below with everything I have just mentioned. Click the pic to enlarge it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 am

Phase 2 is complete. Now that the fifteen minuet audio sample, (Chapter 1) has been approved by the author, I can now proceed with the rest of the 5 chapters. The reason you want to get approval before you waist your time recording the entire book, is if for some reason the author whats you to change your style of reading, you will wasted all your time, and you will have to start over. Depending on the personality of the author, it may take 30 mins to 8 hrs before they take the time to listen to your sample. 9 times out of 10, they will listen to it, as soon as they are notified by the ACX that you have submitted it. The pic below shows what the email approval notice looks like.

Now that I have received approval to continue, all the settings for my audio interface as well as the plugins and settings I used in Reaper to record and edit my 15 min sample, WILL ALWAYS STAY THE SAME, for the rest of my recordings, for this particular book. This is a critical step that many will fail, concerning the ACX's requirement for "Consistency". The pic below shows my ACX template I always use and the plugins I use, as well as the order they are placed in. Click the pic to enlarge it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:13 pm

So helpful to have an insider's view! Thanks for all this.
How long do you typically have to record an average length audiobook? (I think that is what I am most nervous about-- deadlines.)

...Are you still there? :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Ya, we did not get hit as bad as predicted. As far as how fast for reading, that involves many factors. Your ability to read without making to many mistakes and I make a lot. Your ability to edit, mix and master the audio. Narrating audio is no different then any other business. It takes self discipline as well as a commitment to finish the project. So to answer your question, it really depends on those three factors, as well as the length of the book. The one I am doing now, states it should only take 1.5 hrs. It will take me 45 mins just to research the proper pronunciation of the scientific terms, for most of the trees. They look Latin in the script.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic