Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Dynamic versus Condenser Mics.

A microphone is a device that captures audio by converting sound waves into an electrical signal. This signal can be amplified as an analog signal or may be converted to a digital signal, which can be processed by a computer or other digital audio device. This forum is for discussing Dynamic, Condenser, USB, Ribbon and Stereo Mic Sets.
Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Re: Dynamic versus Condenser Mics.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:58 pm

@River. I think the 57 and 58 suggest 57dbs of gain. If you are getting a -20db signal using just the H4, you are only 2dbs off of the sweet spot. If you can do a 20 to 30 second test clip for me, I can give you a very educated opinion on whether you should invest in the inline preamp. If you do decide to go that route, the cloud-lifter comes very highly recommended. It has very clean gain. I will send you a PM and give you my Dropbox upload link for the sample. It will send me an email when you upload it. Just record with 3 or 4 seconds of silence and then talk normally.

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

River
Operating System: Windows 10
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper
Mics: Zoom H4n; Shure SM57
Digital Recorder: Zoom H4n
United States of America

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:46 am

So word on the street is that the SM57 typically does need extra amp, esp. when using just the voice. I got the sE Dynamite since it promised to do exactly what I wanted: give lots of CLEAN gain. I preferred it over the Cloudlifter for its simplicity -- it attaches right into the end of the mic, so a second cable isn't needed -- and it was a lower price.

The Dynamite is dynamite.

Beforehand I had my Zoom's gain at 100%, getting a muffled signal and lots of room noise. Now the gain can be set to 50% and I get a sparkling clear signal. I could pick up some background traffic but it cleans out of the file nicely; alternatively I'd probably have success with even lower gain.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:05 am

The sE is great. a boost of 28dbs is fantastic. Just keep in mind that regardless of what mic you use or the AI or pre-amp, you want your input level to hover around a -18dbs. This is equivalent to 0dbs using analog meters. I played both your files in Reaper. I noticed you recorded your last sample in stereo. The ACX prefers mono but they will except either one. The only time stereo will be a problem, is when it comes to file size restrictions.

I also noticed that when you started your second recording, you either bumped your desk or mic and you had a few lip smacks. The lip smacks are common and the more gain you apply, the more pronounced they will become. As always, YOU SOUNDED GREAT!

:clap: :dance: :clap:
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

River
Operating System: Windows 10
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper
Mics: Zoom H4n; Shure SM57
Digital Recorder: Zoom H4n
United States of America

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Yes, I forgot to render to Mono instead of Stereo when exporting that clip. It was also a test recording so I know what extra noise to anticipate next time.

Now that is interesting that you recommend -18. I have heard elsewhere that between -12 and -6 is optimal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 am

River wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:57 pm
Now that is interesting that you recommend -18. I have heard elsewhere that between -12 and -6 is optimal.
Everything in audio is math. From musical instruments to recording. I play around with the drums and bass when I have a spare min or two. Someone asked me one time, "how do you know what beat to keep"? My reply was "if I can play a 1/4 note that sounds good, then I can also play 2 1/8ths, or 4 1/16ths, or 8 1/32s". As far as the input levels, I simply contacted the tech support for Alesis and Tascam, and asked their advice concerning input levels. These are the companies that I support the two audio interfaces/pre-amps I use. Both told me that their gear is designed to have the lowest noise to signal ratio, with a input of a negative 18dbs. (-18dbs)

Your input levels is a critical factor in proper recording. Your first sample hovered around a -24dbs. Your second recording was dead on around a -18dbs. Now if you want to dig a little deeper into this -18db theory, check out this article written by Massive Mastering. He is very well respected in the Mastering Engineering World, concerning audio and he has a very "NO BS" personality.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic