Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

My Alesis Multimix 4 USB FX 4 channel mixer/USB recording interface questions!

An audio interface is a piece of hardware that expands and improves the sonic capabilities of a computer. Some audio interfaces give you the ability to connect professional microphones, instruments and other kinds of signals to a computer, and output a variety of signals as well. In addition to expanding your inputs and outputs, audio interfaces can also greatly improve the sound quality of your computer.
Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Re: My Alesis Multimix 4 USB FX 4 channel mixer/USB recording interface questions!

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:28 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:59 pm
You'll be very glad to know that after more fiddling around, I believe it is no electrical hum. I just need to hold the earbud + extension cord together with some duct tape ( :idea: ) and I believe the noise I was hearing in the background is my laptop running loudly. :shifty:
Very well done grasshopper. You are one step closer to snatching the pebble from my hand.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to get a brand new one any time soon, but I have heard that perhaps using a small MacBook Pro might do the trick for such a situation. ...What do you think? I could save up for that.
I am not a Macker but I think the Mac Book Pro starts out about $1,999.00. I can buy 5 window machines for that kind of money.
But in any case, after doing a few test recordings, I went home and listened and I don't hear the laptop in playback. So maybe the mic is not picking that up at all. That would be sweet!
It should not pick up the laptop, but in till you achieve the proper input levels, it is impossible to tell. I know that when I was in the condo, my sm57 was directly under the air vent and it never pick up the ac running. Many times I had the ceiling fan running as well.
So I guess it's on to the next step. I will be working on the input levels using the videos you've made. I'll let you know when I have problems [we know it's not a matter of 'if', right?]. :roll:
You are gaining more knowledge every day. It seems that the more we learn, to more we get away from the basics of audio. I am referring to your other posts in this thread. I think you would be better off buying a small extension cord so the mixer is right next to you. I also think you need to invest in a pair of headphones that has a long cord and comes with a 1/4 inch adapter. You can get them from Walmart for $14.50 and it comes with an 8 foot cord along with a 1/4 inch adapter. If you can, do a search and try to find a pair that does not have a built in volume control knob. It seems that these go out quite often and you will be using the headphone control knob, on the mixer anyway.

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity :(
Mics: Blue Yeti :(
United States of America

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:36 pm

Dana wrote:

I am not a Macker but I think the Mac Book Pro starts out about $1,999.00. I can buy 5 window machines for that kind of money.
Yiy! Well, I suppose I could have misunderstood what I had heard... :mrgreen:
Dana wrote:

It should not pick up the laptop, but in till you achieve the proper input levels, it is impossible to tell. I know that when I was in the condo, my sm57 was directly under the air vent and it never pick up the ac running. Many times I had the ceiling fan running as well.
I think you know what you are talking about! When listening to test in playback, I could also tell a difference when I shut the curtain of my booth to block off the laptop from my mic. All these things are seeming to work together! :)

Thank you re the headphone advice. I went to earbuds because I got tired of the different headphones I've used making noise whenever I opened my mouth to talk. I thought earbuds would fix that! Well, it does but they have other cons. I will look into the ones you recommend.

I am hoping to get my input levels, etc. finished soon because I have a couple of expiring Librivox projects coming up and also the free trial of Reaper is running out! But I will also be busy with work this weekend. I will get to it as soon as I can. TTFN...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:35 pm

I was working on the input levels this afternoon, following the tutorial you made for me a while back. I got farther with it, but I have the Gain volume turned all the way up, as well as the white one, and the green pillars on the scales don't seem to get any taller the more I turn the knob on the far bottom right. I seem to get nowhere with it. I am about two inches away from the mic, talking past it.
Do you have any advice :?:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 am

Try turning the black gain control knob all the way up on the channel your mic is on. Now turn up the white fader knob on the channel your mic is plugged into, all the way up. Now go to the white "Main" knob on the bottom right and turn it all the way up. (All the way up is all the way to the right). Now move closer to your mic. Does that make the meters go up?
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks, I will try this as soon as I can. :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:19 pm

:( Not too much. As I said, I'm about 2 in. away (mic facing leftward, to the right of me, not dead on), but about the most I am able to achieve with all knobs turned up is -36. If I move closer (popping and blaring all over the place), I can achieve -24. I must be doing something wrong.

The thing that is starting to have me scared is that I have a brand new paid gig reading for iambik (they contacted me). I mean, I'm excited, but I don't have this figured out yet! I really am freaked out-- should I use Reaper, which is still new to me (what if I mess something up??) or should I use Audacity because I'm familiar with it (but will I be able to get the pro specs they want??) It always takes me so long to figure things out and they're wanting their files right quick. I'm in a near panic, Dana! :o

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:41 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:19 pm
:( Not too much. As I said, I'm about 2 in. away (mic facing leftward, to the right of me, not dead on), but about the most I am able to achieve with all knobs turned up is -36. If I move closer (popping and blaring all over the place), I can achieve -24. I must be doing something wrong.
When you say that all you can get is a -36dbs, is that on the input meter as you are recording or is that the volume when you analyze the recording? If it is the volume when you analyze the recording, this is 100% except able! If this is what you are seeing on the input meter as you are recording, then yes, you are doing something wrong.
The thing that is starting to have me scared is that I have a brand new paid gig reading for iambik (they contacted me). I mean, I'm excited, but I don't have this figured out yet! I really am freaked out-- should I use Reaper, which is still new to me (what if I mess something up??) or should I use Audacity because I'm familiar with it (but will I be able to get the pro specs they want??)
When in doubt, always revert back to what you feel is the most comfortable to you. Regardless of whether you use Reaper or Audacity, the main point and the most crucial, is to be able to properly record an audio file. Once you have the file recorded, you can use any professional DAW to master it.
It always takes me so long to figure things out and they're wanting their files right quick. I'm in a near panic, Dana! :o
Slow down and take a breath. I think the biggest thing you are dealing with at this point is a dead line. This is something you have never dealt with before. Like I have told you so many times before, the easiest way for me to walk you through this, is for you and me to go into the conference room so you can see me do this in real time. Just concentrate on recording the audio in a wav format. Send them to me and I will master them till you get this figured out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:18 pm

I would say that's the input meter as I'm recording. After I followed the step by step tutorial, and did the analyzing, the meters were well above, and probably too hot.

Okay, I think that makes me feel so much better. I will keep recording on Audacity for these current projects, but I WILL learn Reaper!
Dana, I watched the ACX UN this week and felt like I could understand a lot of it because of what I've learned here! :)
Once you get my file (which I hope I sent right this time :doh: ), maybe it would be appropriate to do another conference session. I am eager.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:15 am

Thanks for the complements. You sent me every file except the audio file. At this time, I think you need to concentrate on honing your skills using Audacity. Since I have no desire to teach Audacity, I suggest you join their forum and ask advice from them, when needed. You can read some of their users questions here, concerning audio books. I am in the process of finishing my studio and switching cable companies. After this Monday, I will be without the internet for approximately 2 weeks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:34 pm

As to the file I sent, I apologize. I went back and rewatched that part of the video a couple more times and I think I know where I went wrong. No doubt you are right about my needing to get better with Audacity and I am trying. But then, I now have this $60 Reaper, and I will learn to master it too, no matter how long it takes me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic