Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Noisy PC. Mobile interface?

An audio interface is a piece of hardware that expands and improves the sonic capabilities of a computer. Some audio interfaces give you the ability to connect professional microphones, instruments and other kinds of signals to a computer, and output a variety of signals as well. In addition to expanding your inputs and outputs, audio interfaces can also greatly improve the sound quality of your computer.
MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Italy

Re: Noisy PC. Mobile interface?

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi Dana,
I just listened to your recording and, brother, I liked it very much.
Trust me is quite unbelievable that while speaking your heat was running and TV was on just in the other room. No background noise was detectable whatsover.Adobe Audition measured a minus infinity noise floor!! And you haven't processed it, if not just or adjusting loudness.
Your voice is very clean and quite bright and the deep tone is evident without being neither muddy or dark.
Well....it is quite out of my budget getting a new Dynamic mic now but trust me....I would do that now.
Shure SM7B+Zoom H5 would be probably a wonderful gear for me in order to make a very big improvement step with the quality of my recordings...but it's outside of my budget now.
Maybe just only the portable recorder hoping that with PC off noise could be far lower?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:55 am

Hey Marco, we got held up for a few hours so I wanted to reply back to you before we go. The key to not picking up background noise is determined by two things. How much sound proofing you have in your recording area and what type of mic you are using. Now, sound proofing and room treatment are two totally different things. When you have a sound proof room, it will not allow any sound from the outside the room to get in, and it will not allow any sound inside the room, to get out. Most home studios do not have sound proof rooms as they are very, very expensive to build.

Most home studios will use room treatment instead. It is much cheaper and in most cases, it will work just fine. The audio clip below was made using a ATR 2100 Dynamic Mic. I used the same process except this time, I brought it up to the proper level and applied a gate set to a -40db threshold. Nothing else was done. I paid $59.00 for this mic. The best way to remove background noise is to use a dynamic mic. I have always said that condenser mics and less forgiving, when it comes to picking up, unwanted sounds. The two pics below, show what my recording space looks like at this point. They wanted $720.00 per panel. I built them myself for $300.00 total.

ATR-2100-Dynamic-Mic.mp3
(763.67 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Italy

Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:16 am

Happy Christmas my friend.
I am seriously considering your suggestion to switch to a dynamic mic but I am not yet convinced about that.
I am posting here a link to a clip I just registered in my room with the setup you already now...at the beginning there are quite a few seconds of room tone and in my opinion the noise floor is not that horrible, but I would like to know your expert evaluation about that.
For sure, a dynamic mics would help me catch less breaths and plosives, but maybe the sound would come out more flattened? I don't know.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:52 am

Hey Marco, Merry Christmas to you as well. I went to a Christmas Eve Church Service last nite. It started at 11PM. I recorded it using two stereo Condenser mics and linked it to the video I shot with my iPhone. If you want to, you can check it out here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fev_EoupJtA

The only thing I am trying to point out, is listen to all the little sounds these mics pic up. I will be redoing their entire sound system starting next week. All their mics will be dynamic except for the two choir mics. Now, on to the audio clip you posted.

When you did this recording, did you set your input level to a -18dbs before you recorded it? It is real easy to do. Just speak into your mic like you were going to do a recording. Set the input level to a -18dbs as you speak, then be silent and do your recording. It sounds like you may be are getting noise from your pre-amp or computer fan. In till you let me know what level your input was, it is hard for me to give you my opinion/advice. If your input was low, then your noise floor will be raised when you adjust your output volume. Also, keep in mind that anytime you use a compressor, it will raise your noise floor as well.
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Italy

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:14 am

Hi Dana, I will be watching to your video in a few minutes.

As far as my input level is concerned it was at around -18dBs, with peaks around -6dBs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Italy

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:11 am

Dana wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:52 am

The only thing I am trying to point out, is listen to all the little sounds these mics pic up. I will be redoing their entire sound system starting next week. All their mics will be dynamic except for the two choir mics. Now, on to the audio clip you posted.
Yes Dana, the recording you did is very good and as a matter of fact those mics were able to catch quite all kind of sounds inside the church.

The only thing I would avoid is to invest in a new Dynamic mic + a good preamp in order to let the mic have the required gain (at least a Zoom H5 digital recorder if not something more powerful). This would mean for me to invest at least the correspondent, (in Euros) of 400 bucks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:22 am

Ya, I know it is a lot of money and we both know we do not live in a perfect world. LOL. Getting back to your original question of having a noisy PC in the same room as a condenser mic, there is really not a lot that can be done, to try and mask the noise floor. If you were recording music, it would not be a problem. Honestly, if you are not having a problem cleaning up the noise floor, then I would just concentrate on recording how you have been. I know I keep saying this buttttttttttttttttt, if you are getting a high noise floor, using compression will only make it worse.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:01 am

Hey Marco, I did a short video on how to check the noise in your pre-amps. It is real easy to do. After you follow this procedure, do the same thing with your mic connected. Be as quite as you can when you have your mic hooked up. Then, take the loudest dbs from your pre-amp test and add it to the loudest dbs with your mic connected test and this will be your total noise floor as well as show you how much noise is being picked up from your PC & Mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU94St3hf-Q&feature=youtu.be

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Sound Man
Sound Man
Italy

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you so much Dana.