Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Plugins Needed for Audacity Concerning the ACX.

Audacity® is free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing. Audacity is not considered a DAW. The biggest concern I have with this program is that it can not use the ASIO file. This means that you must go through your operating systems sound card to record your audio. At this time I still can not achieve multi-track recording with this software.
Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Re: Plugins Needed for Audacity Concerning the ACX.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:16 am

If your input level is around a -18dbs on average, then you should be just fine. If your audio is spiking during times when your voice gets excited, then just back away from the mic an inch or two if you are raising your voice. This will help keep your input level in check while still keeping the dynamics of your audio. Your waveform will always have peaks in it as it is impossible for anyone to speaks at a constant level. Can you post a 20 sec clip of what you are concerned with?

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity :(
Mics: Blue Yeti :(
United States of America

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 pm

I'm sorry, I just now saw this. I did not mean to appear to ignore!
I sent you a recent sample. *(I hope I did it right, as it has been a little while since I last did dropbox!)
I would say most of my projects are quieter than this-- I selected the a spikier part to give you.
And on top of that there is that water heater running in background. :roll: Do you think this would be a problem for the ACX?

Is it the main part of the chain we built that I am to apply in small sizes, or just the ACX Check part at the end?

I noticed that if I apply chain to this smaller selected piece, no clipping appears at all. But if I apply to the whole part (which is 45 min. long), clipping occurs. Is this what you were talking about?
Thanks.
:)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:12 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 pm
I'm sorry, I just now saw this. I did not mean to appear to ignore!
I sent you a recent sample. *(I hope I did it right, as it has been a little while since I last did dropbox!)
I got the sample and it looks just fine. I have no idea why it would clip by bringing it up to the ACX standards. I did it using Reaper as well as Audacity and it worked just fine. However, you will need to apply noise reduction to pass the ACX requirements.
I would say most of my projects are quieter than this-- I selected the a spikier part to give you.
And on top of that there is that water heater running in background. :roll: Do you think this would be a problem for the ACX?
The ACX is very big on being consistent. If you record one chapter with the hot water heater running, then you need to record all the chapters with the hot water heater running. This goes back to the basics of making sure you have a proper recording environment. This is one of the problems with using a condenser mic, they pick up everything.
Is it the main part of the chain we built that I am to apply in small sizes, or just the ACX Check part at the end?
Just the ACX check. You should be able to run the ACX chain through the entire file, then spot check using the ACX check plugin.
I noticed that if I apply chain to this smaller selected piece, no clipping appears at all. But if I apply to the whole part (which is 45 min. long), clipping occurs. Is this what you were talking about?
Thanks.
I am not quite sure what you mean. I will try and pull a 30 min Podcast down and do a video using the ACX chain to show what happens to the file. I do know that Audacity is considered to be a CPU hog when dealing with audio. If you have an old computer or a slow computer, this can create problems with your audio. One of Reapers best features is that it has a very low impact on your CPU. I hate to keep sounding like I am bashing condenser mics and Audacity, but it is what it is.
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Okay, consistency-- makes sense!

I will be sending you a sample of what I mean-- longer piece that clipped after I ran the chain.

Yes, I have found Audacity to be a hog. I get what you mean about Reaper being better in many ways. How long do you think it would take for me to learn it?
As far as Audacity goes, it is the "language" of Librivox, and some other platforms as well so use it for now.

(Yes, older computer and the condenser mic. Someday hope to upgrade!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:06 am

OK, first things first. Why are you converting to the flac format? You are better off recording in the wav format and then convert it to mp3. The FX chain for the ACX is 100% different for the FX chain concerning LibriVox when using Audacity. I will do a real short video on how easy it is to use one plugin with Reaper that will work for either LibriVox or the ACX. As far as how easy it is to learn, you tell me? poke BRB.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:29 pm

:P
Sorry for my typo: I meant to put "...so I use [Audacity] for now."
Librivox taught me to do flac, but I am just as comfortable doing wav. I wasn't sure how to send it to you, and thought I would just send it as I was seeing it.
One more thing- just for reference: what are the benefits of using wav over flac?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Hey, this is what I found out when I analyzed your 45 min audio file. You are recording way to hot. Your input level is simply to high. You need to be between a -12 and -18dbs. Your average input level is around a -10dbs with the peak being a -5.5dbs. You have such a great voice and you are killing it with your recording setup. You are using a condenser mic when you should be using a dynamic mic. Condensers are made for studios. You are using a USB input that forces you to go through your windows system to adjust your volume for your input gain, instead of using an audio interface. You are using Audacity to try and master your audio, when even Audacity states they are not mastering software.

In till you can change these conditions that affect your audio, there is very little myself, or anyone else can do to help you get to the level you need to be. Your background noise is a -55dbs which puts you in the red to begin with. Please understand that everything you are doing at this time should be fine for LibriVox. When it comes to the ACX, that is where you will start to feel the frustration if you choose to continue using the same setup you have now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks for taking the time to look at that for me.

Okay, Dana, I'm set and ready:

1) What specific mic do you advise I get? I have a budget of $100.

2) When can we get started on learning Reaper?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 am

Good morning. I apologize for not answering your question concerning the "flac" format. I guess I just skipped right over it. Flac stands for "Free Lossless Audio Codec". There are very few DAWS that allow recording in this format and it takes special players to listen to these types of files. Flac files are around 6 times larger then an mp3 file but only half the size of wav files. Since LibriVox hosts their files on Archive.org for free, I am surprised they are asking for this format. Flac was designed to be played on very expensive hi fi systems. This is a good link to see what others say concerning recording in this format.

The mic you need for under $100.00 is the ATR 2100. You can use it via your USB in till you can afford a small 4 channel USB mixer. You will also need to buy a desk top mic stand for around $24.00. This is critical. You need to go here to see what bit system you are running. Once you click the link, it will tell you automatically. It will either be a 32 or 64 bit system. Then go to Reaper.fm and download and install the proper version for your 32 or 64 bit operating system. Let me know when you have Reaper installed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Ok, so I am assuming that the desk stand that automatically comes with the mic recommended is no good?
That looks like a very affordable mic for me. Thanks. I may even be able to get the stand for free because I have an Amazon gift card. I won that for eating ghost peppers. :P

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic