Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Danas Home Studio Build.

This is where you can show off your home studio. This is also where you can ask questions or give advice concerning room treatments.
Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Danas Home Studio Build.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:51 am

We bought a home out in the country in October of 2016. It is a small 3 bedroom single story rambler. My loving wife of 32 years allowed me to use one bedroom for my track room and the closet from the adjoining bedroom as my control room. The only requirement was that I had to install a set of pull down attic stairs, rip out the kitchen counter tops and install marble 12 x 12 tiles, install a dishwasher, pot rack and new sink, build a 12 x 12 screen porch.

Install a set of french doors that lead from the kitchen to the porch, move and build 3 cabinets to recess the refrigerator, install a new stove and microwave, expand her master closet, build a wall for the laundry room to change a 5 foot opening to a 3 foot opening and install her 3 foot sliding barn door, install hardwood flooring in the kitchen and both bath rooms, install 5 ceiling fans, remove the master bathtub and install a 0 gravity shower with a rain tree shower head, recess her bookshelf where the hall closet was, replace the front porch, install two toilets, install new wire shelving in both closets, paint the interior of the home and have new carpet installed.

Well, all I have left to do is install the master bathroom shower, vanity and floor. I have done all of this by myself except for the carpet and the shingles for the back porch roof, working mostly on the weekends. It has been a fun ride! I enjoy work like this and it has saved us over $30,000 in labor. The video below shows some of the work I have done on my track room. Remember gentleman, a Happy Wife = a Happy Life!

The room dimensions are 10' 6" wide by 12' 6" long, 8' high. The walls are common 2 x 4 framed with 1/2 drywall. There is one 10' 6" exterior wall that has fiberglass insulation and there is two layers of R-30 fiberglass insulation. I built 12, 2' x 4' absorption panels using Roxul Rockboard 60 Mineral Wool Board 2" thick. The frames are constructed out of 1 x 6 white pine. With all the material I used, this worked out to $25.00 per panel. 10 will be on the wall (for now) and 2 will be hung from the ceiling over my listening area.

duct.jpg
duct.jpg (106.38 KiB) Viewed 178 times
duct.jpg
duct.jpg (106.38 KiB) Viewed 178 times
I built a 22" x 48" air silencer and installed it between my floor joist. (I have a 3' craw space). I removed the ceiling fan and carpet and installed hardwood flooring, (click track) and a standard room light. I bought the flooring on sell for $90.00. I used two 1/2" panes of safety glass 2' x 4' for my see through. I bought them from a local glass dealer for $78.00. I installed 2 XLR plates that have 6 XLR and 6 I/O 1/4" connections. The bookshelf in the rear of the room was here when we bought the house and all I did was wrap it in 1 x 10 white pine to give it a more finished look.

I have been working on this house on the weekends as I reside 12 miles south of Washington D.C. It is a two hr trip one way. At this time, my total cost is $587.00 including where I will be sitting in my massive 2' x 6' control room, (aka, the second bedroom closet). The top is made using 3/4" maple plywood. I will do a room test using the REW system in a month or two after I can get some spare gear moved down. I will post some pics in about 20 mins as well as a before and after audio sample.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:39 am

You can click on the pictures to enlarge them. This is a short before and after audio clip. It is 100% raw.

Track-Room-Before-After.mp3
(445.71 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Front Wall. The two panels in the center will be hung from the ceiling above my listening area. All panels will be wrapped in fine thread burlap.

Right Side Wall.

Left Side Wall.

Rear Wall. (Bookcase)

Control Room View 1.

Control Room View Sitting.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic