Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Gearing up

This is where you can show off your home studio. This is also where you can ask questions or give advice concerning room treatments.
thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity :(
Mics: Blue Yeti :(
United States of America

Gearing up

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi! I am here where I record for a little while longer this afternoon so thought I would make this post here now.

Okay, I am in a friend's finished basement. The room is L-mostly shaped. My set up is on a card table in the lower right hand side of the "L branch". I face the wall, with my Blue Yeti Pro [still] at this moment in that bad foam cube. I know, I know- but it's because I'm trying to make my chapters in my solo project sound consistent and I started out that way. But I can change that.
I have a silly, homemade pop filter out of hanger and pantyhose deal. :?
Behind me in the corner are closet doors set in perpendicular walls. I open them a crack and hang a blanket from them. This creates an angle behind my chair, instead of flat, hard surface.
There is low-rise carpeting.
I have cheap headphones. I know that's bad, too.
I have a noisy laptop I work from. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to change that anytime soon. I just try to place it as far away from me as possible and put another foamed box over top of that.
I've only ever used Audacity, but would like to learn something better.
There is a water heater in another closet in this room, on the other side of the wall from where I record. :(

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 am

Well, the first thing I need to tell you is "CONGRATULATIONS". poke Not only are you breaking every rule, but more importantly, you have gained the knowledge to know that!!!! Give me an hr or two and I will be able to improve your situation 99%, for around $20.00. The headphones are not an issue at this time nor is the layout of your recording space or mic. We can deal with the fan noise and get you started using Reaper. You can use the full version of Reaper for free, for 60 days. I have made many a pop filter using coat hangers and pantyhose, they work great!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:44 am

Dana wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 am
Give me an hr or two and I will be able to improve your situation 99%, for around $20.00.
OK, the recording booth you see below in the picture is called a Gobo. Gobo is a sound recording term for a "movable acoustic isolation panel".

gobo.jpeg
gobo.jpeg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 617 times
gobo.jpeg
gobo.jpeg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 617 times

So lets build one. (Oh, by the way, that is probably close to $120,000 worth of gear you see in that studio). The first thing you will need to do is copy these pictures or be able to show this thread to someone in the plumbing department at your local Home Depot or Lowes. You will need 4 three way fittings for 1 inch pvc pipe. Cost: $8.76 total.

3, 10 foot pieces of 1 inch pvc pipe. $12.00 Total.

Now, they should be able to cut the pipe for you. You will need 4 cut a 5 foot, this will be the height. You will need 2 cut at 4 feet and this will be the depth. You will need 2 cut at 4 feet and this will be your width. After you put it all together, you DO NOT need to glue it. Place some blankets over it just like you see in the picture. You will not need the extra foam for speech. This will solve 95% of your recording location issues. Let me know what you think. ;)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Oh, that sounds great! I will get to work on it this week.
What do you think about buying moving blankets for it? Except, that I do not know what they cost yet.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:13 am

They are around $6.00 at Walmart. I would start with heavy blankets or quilts first, just to see how they do. Remember, the only thing we are trying to do, is remove any artificial reverb. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough- ... /180804755

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:11 pm

OK, I will let you know when I'm ready to move on to the next step.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Before we get started, you need to set at your recording area and take some measurements, just as if you were going to be recording. I need the height to the top of your head, the depth as well as the width. We don't want to make it to small nor do we want to make it to where you feel cramped. We want you in the "Goldie Locks Zone". MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, just right!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 pm

OK, thanks-- will do! I think I will have time to go over tomorrow to measure.
Question: if circumstances should later change and I need to move my recording place... does that mess the whole thing up as far as measurements, sound quality, etc. for the booth?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:59 pm

No, not really. Since you will just be building a 3 sided Gogo, the only purpose it will serve is to help control the reverb, slapback, echo. (These three terms mean the same thing). As long as you do not glue the pieces together, you can simple take them apart and move them to the same location. The biggest thing is that if you make your first measurements to fit a desk 30 inches deep, by 48 inches wide, you would want to use that same trype of dest at the new location or you may have to cut some of the pipes. ;)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi, I got it--
height to top of head- 52"
depth- 57" (this included the back of my chair, sitting at the table)
width- 53"
These are the measurements, WITHOUT extra room (edge to edge), because I didn't know what to add for that. Obviously, in order for my table and me to realistically fit inside, there would have to be at least a couple inches added all around. ?
I use a card table, and right now that's the best I have to use. I hope that isn't too big. I took down the cube and added in a music stand (which I didn't have before). That way my script can be up higher and I don't have to close my throat off to look down at it.
Another thing is that if I get a different mic, I don't know what configuration it will need. Like, if it needs it's own stand, or if it stands on the table, or how it will work. I took the measurements as if it would be on the table.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic