Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Gearing up

This is where you can show off your home studio. This is also where you can ask questions or give advice concerning room treatments.
Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Re: Gearing up

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:59 pm

The measurement you have are strictly a starting point. When it comes to speech, there is a lot of leave-way. You can add 6 inches or 2 feet, it really will not make a difference for using this type of Gobo. Now, more importantly, you need to get your mic closer to your mouth. It needs to be 3 to 4 inches away. The closer the mic, the less gain you will need to apply. The less gain you apply, the LOWER your noise floor. The lower your noise floor, the better chance passing the ACX requirements. You do not need to invest in a mic stand at this time. Just find a box that you can sit your mic on, that will bring it up to your mouth.

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity :(
Mics: Blue Yeti :(
United States of America

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:28 pm

OK, makes sense. What's next? Add additional inches to the dimensions?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 pm

The first thing we need to figure out is what will be the dimensions, if you decide to move your recording location into a new area. If you plan on keeping the same amount of space, then I would recommend making it 6' tall, and adding 12 inches to each side as well as the depth. This should work for any sitting position as well as if you decide you may want to stand during your narrations. This is just my opinion and your recording location will have the final say.
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 pm

My apartment is pretty small and located close to a busy road with semis, motorcycles, and heavy traffic regularly going by. I think I'll stay where I'm at for the time being since my friend doesn't seem to mind. I'm thankful for the spot, but it does take an extra effort to go over there. :arrow:
I'm 5'6" by the way.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:49 am

OK, no problem. Later on down the road, you may want to check into using a dynamic mic. This will stop most of what you described from making it into your recordings. As far as the Gobo goes, I drew this up this morning. The rear panel can be any size but I would not go larger then 4 feet. So, 48 inches or smaller for the width. Once you put the panels together, use large electrical zip ties as the hinges. That way you can either fold it up or cut them off to move them.

SG.jpg
SG.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 997 times
SG.jpg
SG.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 997 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:09 pm

Cool! Ok, so this booth has a door on it?
Sorry to cause more complications and configurations, but since you said no larger than 48" I decided to measure a 2nd card table I had and it turns out it's smaller. So I could use that instead (I really don't need so much space). That makes it 33" + the 12 extra inches you recommended for width = 45".
So,
6' x 45" x 49"
????

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:25 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:09 pm
Cool! Ok, so this booth has a door on it?
No, there is no door. It is three sided and the electrical ties just hold everything together. Since it is round pvc pipe, you can just fold it up like an accordion.

Sorry to cause more complications and configurations, but since you said no larger than 48" I decided to measure a 2nd card table I had and it turns out it's smaller. So I could use that instead (I really don't need so much space). That makes it 33" + the 12 extra inches you recommended for width = 45". So, 6' x 45" x 49" ????
If you make it larger then 48 inches, then you would need to add more pipe, Ts and Elbows to stiffen up the frame. Since all you are trying to do is prevent the echo effect from happening, it really depends where you will be sitting. I will use my desk as an example. It is 5 foot wide and 30 inches deep. I would make my read panel 5 foot 4 inches wide and my side panels 32 inches wide.

There is no wrong way. If you want to be able to set it up to stand and record, that is where the 6 foot height comes in. If you are 6 foot 6 inches tall, then you would make it 7 feet tall. I use the 36 inches due to you can buy pvc pipe in 10 foot lengths. You can get 3 pieces with only one foot of waste. If you use a 8 foot peice of pipe, you will have 2 foot of waist but that size is perfect if you are building it with anything that = 48 inches. That would give you 2 pieces with 0 waste.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:10 pm

:shock: Oh, good grief! No, I am not 6'6". 5'6" is more like it!

OK, 6'[height] x 45" [width] x 49" [depth]. I measured the 49" because of the fact that my chair juts out more from the table, of course. Does this make a difference then? Should I sit facing the rear panel or the other way?

I think I am following your configurations. :geek:

Thank you so much!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:48 am

You want to be talking towards the rear panel. The side panels are there just to keep your voice from re-entering your mic. This is what causes artificial reverb in your recording. poke You are so funny! I was using the 6' 6" as an example. Now, if you have no plans to stand and read, you can build the same thing that would fit on your desk. Since I use a dynamic mic, I only use a rear panel. The one with the towel, cost me $3.50 to build. The one below it cost me $155.00.

stand.jpg
stand.jpg (544.08 KiB) Viewed 977 times
stand.jpg
stand.jpg (544.08 KiB) Viewed 977 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks! I would like to have the option to stand. So, are we ready to go to the hardware store?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic