Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Gearing up

This is where you can show off your home studio. This is also where you can ask questions or give advice concerning room treatments.
Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Re: Gearing up

Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 am

I have download your files and will work on them this morning. Do you remember what your input meter was showing when your recorded these files?

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity :(
Mics: Blue Yeti :(
United States of America

Tue May 15, 2018 11:06 pm

My gain was turned at 9:00, if that helps. There isn't really any indication on the knob...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Wed May 16, 2018 6:29 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:06 pm
My gain was turned at 9:00, if that helps. There isn't really any indication on the knob...
No, not really but that's OK. You always want to check your gain input via your recording software. I forgot what your recording setup is but I think you are using something like a snowball into Audacity. You want your input levels to be between a -12dbs and -18dbs speaking at the loudest point. This is the best noise to signal ratio you can have with digital audio. Your file about the two toed frog, (that was fantastic by the way) was between a -30db & -24db. Being off that amount is really not that bad, till you start to add all the little things up as this will effect your noise floor.

Keep in mind that from here on out, we will be discussing the ACX requirements. As far as LibriVox goes, it is probably one of the best recordings they will ever be supplied with. Your GOBO sounds great! Your voice is fantastic and your ability to read the way you do, is most definitely an asset you will use for narration. Check out the video concerning your file and let me know if you have any questions.

https://youtu.be/QpyVbCtEpfo
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks! :D The video will be something I will probably go back to several times, and will make more sense as I go along.
Here are my thoughts/questions:
Do you think I should increase my gain volume?
I'm so happy to take care of the reverb! I know that was a big problem.
Do you think I should put a blanket roof overhead? [I would rather not, but will if necessary.]
Thanks for trying to show me in Audacity! I do want to graduate to something better, now that I have been exposed to the wider world of audio here. ;) What do you think of Twisted Wave? Is that a DAW?
One thing I noticed when you played back my file is that the h's at the beginning of words sounded cut off (as in 'who' or 'he'). Is that a by-product of noise reduction?
Also about noise removal-- I have found that 10 is a very large number to sweep my files in Audacity. If I am using noise removal, I usually do in 1-3 sweeps set at 2 or 3. Otherwise, I get a lot of distortion. What is your thought on this?
I get what you're saying about my mic. Yes, I definitely would like to invest in something better. Hoping to save up for that this summer. What would you suggest?
Are you saying I've got an okay set up, but would have to do a lot of fixing up afterwards? And that that is just fine?
Were you able to listen to the clip I labeled with the furnace turned on? Do you think it is a problem? It is located right behind the booth. Unfortunately.
How do I set the input levels before I begin recording in Audacity?
I'm sorry for so many questions!
Thanks again.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Thu May 17, 2018 5:18 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 pm
Here are my thoughts/questions:
Do you think I should increase my gain volume?
Yes, I mentioned that in the last post I made to you.
I'm so happy to take care of the reverb! I know that was a big problem.
Do you think I should put a blanket roof overhead? [I would rather not, but will if necessary.]
I don't think so. Remember the little mic box we talked about being fully enclosed? As far as I can tell, reverb is no longer a issue now.
Thanks for trying to show me in Audacity! I do want to graduate to something better, now that I have been exposed to the wider world of audio here. ;) What do you think of Twisted Wave? Is that a DAW?
I do not think it is and I really can not guide you on a program that I have no knowledge of.
One thing I noticed when you played back my file is that the h's at the beginning of words sounded cut off (as in 'who' or 'he'). Is that a by-product of noise reduction?
I listened to the video again and it sounds fine on my end. Having words or letters chopped off is normally caused by excessive gating. It can also be cause by a slow internet connection due to buffering or a slow video card in older computers.
Also about noise removal-- I have found that 10 is a very large number to sweep my files in Audacity. If I am using noise removal, I usually do in 1-3 sweeps set at 2 or 3. Otherwise, I get a lot of distortion. What is your thought on this?
You should never do more then 1 sweep. You just need to make sure that you hit the sweet spot of removing the noise without degrading the vocals. That is one of the things I do not like about Audacity, you can not do it in real time and you must listen to the whole file to see it it worked or not.
I get what you're saying about my mic. Yes, I definitely would like to invest in something better. Hoping to save up for that this summer. What would you suggest?
Something like an ATR 2100 dynamic combined with an alesis 4 channel usb mixer. It has plenty of gain and will help reduce your noise floor greatly.
Are you saying I've got an okay set up, but would have to do a lot of fixing up afterwards? And that that is just fine?
In a way yes. The only thing you need to be concerned with is your noise floor. The condenser mic is the cause of 90% of that.
Were you able to listen to the clip I labeled with the furnace turned on? Do you think it is a problem? It is located right behind the booth. Unfortunately.
Yes I did and it is a problem and again, it is due to you using a condenser mic. As you apply the proper gain to make your mic hit the sweet spot of between a -12 and -18dbs, you are also increasing your noise floor as well as the sensitivity of your mic.
How do I set the input levels before I begin recording in Audacity?
I'm sorry for so many questions!
Thanks again.
I placed a link in my last post to you concerning one of my videos on how to set the input levels using Audacity. There are never to many questions. :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Thank you so much!
Oops- I was missing the connection between gain and input levels. Bear with me!
Mic- OK, I will check that model out.
So... it sounds like the next step for me is to concentrate on investing in better mic. :?:
Are there any next steps I can I take meanwhile?

Hope you had a good day!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Fri May 18, 2018 4:57 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 pm
Thank you so much!
Oops- I was missing the connection between gain and input levels. Bear with me!
Mic- OK, I will check that model out.
So... it sounds like the next step for me is to concentrate on investing in better mic. :?:
Are there any next steps I can I take meanwhile?

Hope you had a good day!
The amount of gain you supply will always effect your input level. You have three types of gain. Gain, clean gain and ultra clean gain. For narration you can get by using the first two. The last one is very expensive, depending on what you need. This is very important and must be combined with mic placement. The closer the mic is to the sound source, the less gain you need to hit the sweet spot of a -12 to -18db input. The less amount of gain used/needed, the lower the noise floor. The lower the noise floor, the less processing you will need to do.

For now, just keep using your same mic, just try and get it a little closer then sitting it on the desk. Try to find a box that you can set it on, that will get it to within 3 or 4 inches of your mouth, about 2 inches below your chin. You want to talk past the mic, not into it. This will help with plosives as well as allow you to reduce your gain.

As far as the next steps, you need to open an account with the ACX. Start looking at the authors that are looking for narrators. I think I may have told you before but you would be well sought after for children's books. That is the easiest way to start. They are short and a great confidence booster when you get your first contract. In the mean time, you need to start working with Audacity to do the least amount of processing to meet the ACX requirements. Once you can do this, if or when you decide to upgrade your mic, you will have everything else done and it will be a simple transition. jammin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Fri May 18, 2018 2:08 pm

This is exciting. Some part-time jobs I applied for did not work out, so maybe those closed doors are allowing me more time to devote to this. Time to turn it from hobby to full-on focus!
When I did the test recording, I had noted what I'd read on here about placement and such, and actually did sit about 4 inches (or, pinkie to thumb) away from mic, set at an angle. Next time I will try turning up the gain and paying attention to the input levels. Thanks for the info.
And, I'm assuming after upgrading the mic, I should upgrade my DAW. :)
I will keep practicing!!
cowbell

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Fri May 18, 2018 11:55 pm

You can stay with Audacity if you like, it will get the job done. But, (you know there is always a "but"), it is like plowing a field. A pony and single plow will get the job done, but a tractor pulling a 10 row plow will get it done 10 times as fast, and do a better job. I promote Reaper due to its cost as well as function-ability. The key to working with audio files is being able to adjust things in real time or, "on the fly" without leaving any footprints.

Let me know when you get your account set up and I will link to it. If I see something that I think you may like, I will send it your way. I will be working on a how to video for adding pics/attachments to the community tonight. I have not forgot, just been very busy. We had 6 days of solid rain and have 5 more this coming week, before we get a break in the weather. Our power has been going in and out due to trees falling over due to the ground being so saturated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sat May 19, 2018 11:43 pm

Got it! I will try to work on creating an account tomorrow.

My, that is a lot of rain!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic