Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Noise Reduction & Consistency

Mastering is the final step of audio post-production. So what is the purpose? Think of mastering as the glue, varnish and polish that optimizes playback quality on all devices from tiny iPhone speakers to massive dance club sound systems. If you are doing work for the ACX, you must know how to meet their requirements!
thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity :(
Mics: Blue Yeti :(
United States of America

Re: Noise Reduction & Consistency

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:56 pm

You're right! Running around in circles does sound like an awesome Thanksgiving activity! :mrgreen:
(I will probably be recording/editing.)
I found some basic videos about Reaper on youtube and I will watch those as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fz9wDv ... dex=2&t=0s
Have a great holiday!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:08 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:56 pm
You're right! Running around in circles does sound like an awesome Thanksgiving activity! :mrgreen:
(I will probably be recording/editing.)
I found some basic videos about Reaper on youtube and I will watch those as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fz9wDv ... dex=2&t=0s
Have a great holiday!
Kenny is the KING when it comes to Reaper videos. You may not know this, but he has a entire video series concerning Reaper. I have everyone of them on my desktop! You can view his videos here. https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:03 am

Hi, I'm embarrassed but I think I am still a little fuzzy over the 80 HPF thing.
I'm understanding the amplification, but not understanding the noise reduction as regards the whole file altogether. That's where the gate comes in, correct? Does having it preset and then inserting one of your media files automatically make your file quieter? Or do you have to checkmark it on before you hit 'render'? I don't see that in the video (or maybe I'm missing it).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:57 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:03 am
Hi, I'm embarrassed but I think I am still a little fuzzy over the 80 HPF thing.
I'm understanding the amplification, but not understanding the noise reduction as regards the whole file altogether.
When you record audio either analog or digital, you are recording the entire spectrum of frequencies. When you use a high pass filter, (plugin), you are telling your DAW, (Reaper), that the only frequencies you want to hear, is the ones above that particular hertz. (Hz). Since most females have a higher pitched voice the males, (Pitch = Frequencies), normally you can set your high pass filter around 125 hz if you are a female, without any problems. I used 80 hz because my voice is much lower, (more bassey), then yours.

Remember, it is all the little things that are done, that when added together, will produce a better sounding audio file. So why do we use high pass filters anyway? Simply put, if we do not need the lower frequencies, that we know are going to be picked up when we record anyway, we simply remove them. They are referred to as "Mud". By removing the mud, we get better sounding highs. If we were mastering a drum track, we would not use a high pass filter, because we want that bassy sound. Instead, we would use a low pass filter, to remove the highs.
That's where the gate comes in, correct?
No. The gate was originally designed to trap the beats of a snare drum. Most snares will have a ring or sound that will linger, after it is struck. When you apply the gate and set it correctly, it will open and close instantly, giving you a much better sounding snare beat sound, without the boingggggggggggggggg after it is hit. As narrators, we use it to simply remove or tame down our breathing.
Does having it preset and then inserting one of your media files automatically make your file quieter?
That depends on how you set it up, but basically, you are correct. But this is where most people fail. If you have traffic outside and you set a gate to remove that sound, it will as long as you are not speaking. BUT, as you start to speak, the gate opens up to allow your voice to pass, but at the same time, it is also allowing the traffic noise to come in as well. So if you ever listen to a audio file and it is dead silent when no one is speaking and noisy whey they start to speak, now you know why. Most Podcasters will use it to remove ceiling fan noise, just to discover that when they speak, the fan noise comes in with their voice. I hope that makes sense to you.
Or do you have to checkmark it on before you hit 'render'? I don't see that in the video (or maybe I'm missing it).
There are two ways to turn the fx or plugins, on and off. One is the button on each track that says FX and the other way is to check or uncheck the box on the plugin its self. If your plugins are turned off when you render, it is like they were never on the track to begin with.
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:26 am

Ok, thanks.
I've been up all night (deadline). I'm probably not thinking too well by this point.

The HPF preset has to do with settings in Reaper before we record, then? Not after in post?

I am trying to figure out the noise reduction. I think I understand spot noise reduction in the video, but not as it pertains to the whole file.
I'm sorry I'm so slow to catch on sometimes. :roll:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:50 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:26 am
Ok, thanks.
I've been up all night (deadline). I'm probably not thinking too well by this point.

The HPF preset has to do with settings in Reaper before we record, then? Not after in post?

I am trying to figure out the noise reduction. I think I understand spot noise reduction in the video, but not as it pertains to the whole file.
I'm sorry I'm so slow to catch on sometimes. :roll:
No. You never want to have any plugins active, as you are recording speech. I get emails all the time asking me if I can salvage someones audio file due to compressors and gates, that were set improperly, AS THEY WERE RECORDING. Once it is embedded in the audio file, it CAN NOT be removed 99.9% of the time. Always apply your plugins, AFTER you have recorded, as you mentioned, in post production.

Now, noise reduction is simple as well as very easy to do in Reaper. One of the reasons you record nothing but room tone at the beginning, (Head) as well as the end, (Tail) of ANY audio file, is to give the noise reduction plugin, something to listen to, in order for it to build the profile, of what you are asking it to remove. If you are recording in a noisy environment to begin with, then you are setting yourself up for nothing but failure. This is the proper way to set the first three plugin and you need to do them in this order.

1. AFTER you have recorded and brought your file to the required volume, place your high pass plugin on the track you are working with. The reason this is done first, is to make it easier on the noise removal plugin.

2. Place your noise reduction plugin under the HP plugin and trap the room tone at the beginning of the file. Now tell your noise reduction plugin to build its profile using that noise only.

3. Listen to your audio and find where you may be breathing to hard. Trap your breath and set your gate to remove that level of audio. Your Done! Give me 20 mins and I will do a quick video. I promise you, it is that simple.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:03 am

Dana wrote:
2. Place your noise reduction plugin under the HP plugin and trap the room tone at the beginning of the file. Now tell your noise reduction plugin to build its profile using that noise only.
OK, you mean the ReaGate? Or a different plugin (what would it be called, if so)?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:40 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:03 am
Dana wrote:
OK, you mean the ReaGate? Or a different plugin (what would it be called, if so)?
No, the noise reduction is called Reafir, then from the drop-down menu, select subtract. I have a video on my channel that shows how to use it. I am also waiting for the video that I just made, to finish uploading. When it is ready, I will edit this post.

https://youtu.be/6CLh98OeOF0

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
United States of America

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:15 pm

:sleeping-drool: I am so glad this weekend is over...
But, I think we got through it alive! The videos were VERY helpful, and I was able to use the noise reduction to clean them up.
Get this: they automatically renewed me for more chapters in their next textbook! Hooray! (I think.)
But seriously, I now I know what to expect I can have a routine going. I know better what to do and what not to do. That helps!

But this geek-stuff just isn't my forte. I MUCH prefer performing behind the mic! :eusa-violin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:30 am

thestorygirl wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:15 pm
:sleeping-drool: I am so glad this weekend is over...
But, I think we got through it alive! The videos were VERY helpful, and I was able to use the noise reduction to clean them up.
Get this: they automatically renewed me for more chapters in their next textbook! Hooray! (I think.)
But seriously, I now I know what to expect I can have a routine going. I know better what to do and what not to do. That helps!

But this geek-stuff just isn't my forte. I MUCH prefer performing behind the mic! :eusa-violin:
I am very proud of you! If you remember way back when we first met, talking about doing a Podcast over on another website, to where you are now, it has been a great journey for both of us! Now, as far as just being behind the mic, if you like, just leave 3 seconds of room tone at the head and tail of the file, do all your edits concerning any reading mistakes, provide me the specs concerning what is required from the audio book company and upload them to me, using my Dropbox link. I have 30 clients I do this for, at a set fee. I will do yours for free. It is my way of giving back for the times you have helped me out, in this community. My average turn around time is about 4 hrs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic