Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Carrying over to final normalization, compression, limiting

Mastering is the final step of audio post-production. So what is the purpose? Think of mastering as the glue, varnish and polish that optimizes playback quality on all devices from tiny iPhone speakers to massive dance club sound systems. If you are doing work for the ACX, you must know how to meet their requirements!
Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Re: Carrying over to final normalization, compression, limiting

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:29 am

River wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:39 pm
I used the Volume Adjustment & statistics with success.
Very good. Just make sure that after you do a mock render, hit the back button. Do not render the file. Turn off the audio statistic plugin, then simple render your project. The audio statistic plugin is a real cpu hog.
What is the best field in Audio Statistics to gauge noise floor? I am not sure it is below the -60 required by ACX.
The video below will explain the fields concerning the AS plugin.
The volume adjustment unsurprisingly made the white noise louder. The vocal sounds pretty warm too, as in over-compressed, not in a really flawed way, but I think that was probably how I was micing with the SM57 and pop filter.
I never recommend using compression for speech. More then likely, the volume adjustment plugin had nothing to do with adding noise to your recording. It was added when you applied compression. Trust me, I see this all the time. When compression is added to speech, it will make your voice sound warmer, as you mentioned. This is the down side. It also raises you noise floor. It is just that simple as that is what compressors and made to do. They lower the peaks (loudest parts) of your audio, so the softer parts and become louder, without clipping the louder parts of your audio.

Believe it or not, you probably already knew this, but you just did not realize it. I am sure you use compression when you sing with that wonderful voice you have. When it comes to mixing/mastering music, the noise floor normally will never have to be dealt with, as the voice and instruments will always be louder, then any background noise that may have been picked up during the recording. I am not saying that you do not need to use basic recording skills, I am just saying that as long as you record in a proper environment concerning music, you should never have a problem with the noise floor.

You cannot use the same method for recording speech, as you use for recording music. With music you can skate by concerning noise. In speech, it is the noise floor that is one of the most important things that will need to be addressed. As far as how you set up the sm57, try doing this and see how you like it. Please let me know.

1. Remove the pop filter if it is a metal screen attached externally.
2. Place a thick wool winter sock over the head of the sm57.
3. Set the mic up to where you are speaking directly into it. Now, turn the mic about 15 degrees left or right, off axis so you are speaking past it, and not directly into it.
4. Make sure your input level hovers around a -18dbs, rinse, lather and repeat.

https://youtu.be/hGMyRPVnnfc

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic