Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Review my voice over

This forum is for uploading your audio files so we can analyze as well as offer advice concerning your requests or requirements.
Forum rules
Please post your audio specs when posting in this community. IE: kbps, mono, stereo, input levels etc, etc.
wuhan87
Operating System: windows 10
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity
Mics: AKG C1000S Microphone
Great Britain

Review my voice over

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:44 am

Hey,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if not sorry and please re-direct me!
Attached is my commercial demo. I was thinking about sending it out to various agencies but not sure if it's good enough?

Any feedback concerning the read or the sound quality is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Hannah

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:59 am

Good morning Hannah. I did this short video for you that details how to upload your audio clip into our community. If you have any questions, please ask. viewtopic.php?p=461#p461
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wuhan87
Great Britain

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Hey,

Thank you Dana for the instructions!!

Here is my commercial demo:

2019_final (4).mp3
(238.59 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Although, it seems the quality is considerable altered because I had to cut it down so much to upload it. For a better sound check out this link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-268150964/2019-autoduck-2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:52 pm

You sound awesome. You may want to also provide a copy with just your voice. Most of the time the background audio is added after the vocal is recorded. You sound just like the real person that did the gum commercial. Edit: I just had a chance to run your audio through Reaper as well as Orban. Your noise floor in between takes is quite high, at around -34dbs. You may want to see about using a 100hz roll off filter as well as setting a gate threshold to around a -32dbs.
Fun Fact: The celebrities that appear in commercials for Orbit Gum change, but one name that stays the same in all the Orbit Gum ads is the perky blonde in the 60’s-style, white outfit. In case you’re wondering, she’s an English actress named Vanessa Branch. If you think you recognize her, she played “Giselle” in the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY0S2zqvcU8
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wuhan87
Great Britain

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Hey Dana, thanks so much for taking the time!

What do you mean by inbetween takes?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:29 am

wuhan87 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:38 pm
Hey Dana, thanks so much for taking the time!

What do you mean by inbetween takes?
Sorry, I used the wrong word. I meant tracks. When you made your vocal recordings, you had a great deal of noise recorded with them. I am assuming that after you recorded your vocals, you then added the background music. If you did do it that way, it is impossible to go back and try to remove/gate the background noise that was recorded in the original vocal track. In your case, you took 6 tracks I think, and rendered them as one file. That is the file you placed on SC. You need to clean each original voice track before you add any background tracks to them.

Once you embed any layover tracks, you no longer can go back and edit the final mix. You want your noise floor to be as low as possible. The ACX requires a -60db max. Your file is +12dbs louder then the ACX max. If you send your audio file to someone who uses a program that checks for background noise before a human will listen to it, then your file will never be heard. That is what the ACX does. If your file can not pass their automated program that detects BG noise, then it is rejected without moving to the next step, which is to have a live person listen to your audition. Please see the pic below.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wuhan87
Great Britain

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi Dana,

Thanks for this. I wasn't completely familiar with the noise floor concept before I put this together. I am beginning to understand a little more now.

I don't think I can go back and fix my previous raw recordings because I should have been recording at a hotter signal, so I would prefer to start from the beginning and try again.

I recorded this track last week: <iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=ht ... "></iframe>

When I ran the acx plug in for audacity it said my noise floor level was at -285, which can't be correct because I can still hear the hum of my computer in the background. Do you know if there would be any reason for this, it's surely not this low.

Hannah

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wuhan87
Great Britain

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi Dana, you can ignore this post, I figured it out somewhat.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:07 am

Very good. Just in case you do not know, you have many noises that can affect your audio. Overhead power lines, florescent lights, dimmer switches, noisy pre-amps, just to name a few. Then you have noise in the background like cars driving by, dogs barking and airplanes. (When I lived outside of DC, we were in the direct flight path of Dulles International Airport. It used to drive me crazy and that is why I did most of my recording at 2am). Once you take all these noises and add them together, that now becomes your "noise floor".

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wuhan87
Great Britain

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:19 pm

sample22.mp3
(153.14 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Hey Dana,

Feeling confused again! I recorded a raw recording of my voice I've attached. I use the recording sound booth at my local library. The only problem is the PC is in the same room and I think a lot of the noise floor is coming from the fan. There is no way to move this as it is a small space and not my space to do so.

When I ran the acx plug in it read my noise floor at -58, but someone else ran it on another DAW and gave me a -46. Any reasons for this?

Also, I've had a few people suggest I test for noise floor while I sit quitely in the room, without leaving it because apparently this changes the acoustics of the room. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Hannah

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic