Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Hello sound wizards!

Please introduce yourself here. You do not have to write a book, just tell everyone what you want to accomplish concerning audio recording. I also recommend that you take the time to fill out your profile. This way if you have a question, we can simple go to your profile and find out what gear you may be using.

Moderators: thestorygirl, Liz

GeneratrixX
Operating System: IE Windows 10 Pro
Digital Recorder: I use an android phone.
United States of America

Hello sound wizards!

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:43 pm

I hail from the USA and given the political developments in my country i have been feeling like i better get a hobby to take my mind off things.

Some friends and i do this SEVERELY grass-roots nonprofit organization that recently won an opportunity to operate a low power FM radio station! We are trying to turn the regular media stuff we have been doing for decades into broadcastable content.

I suddenly find myself needing to learn the basics of audio recording and editing but have no one to consistently teach me or give me advice, so here i am!

Thanks for any assistance y'all can give :-)

Gen X

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:48 am

Welcome X! Thanks for joining. We are a small community and deal with audio issues mostly on a one on one basis. Make sure you fill out your profile and list any audio gear you need help with. Keep in mind that most of us run home studios and have little experience with radio stations. Other then broadcasting equipment, most of the audio gear is the same. We have no forum set up for politics and I aim to keep it that way. As far as audio questions, ask away! <>?*

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Liz
Operating System: Windows 8
United States of America

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:58 am

Hello and welcome!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GeneratrixX
United States of America

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Just here to have a place to ask questions when editing audio footage. Thanks for the welcome!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:21 am

No problems. I use iPhone's and have very little experience with Androids. I know that there are many Podcasters that use the lightning connector to add an external mic such as the Zoom IQ6. What program do you use to edit your audio?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GeneratrixX
United States of America

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:59 am

That's the thing. I have NO experience editing, meaning i never have before. I have a lot of audio footage that needs editing tho. I am going to be embarking on teaching myself the bare rudiments of editing so i can clean up some amazing interviews i have gotten, and i have no one around me to ask stupid questions that will inevitably come up. I have tried using Audacity with the help of YouTube video tutorials but i always reach a point where i get stuck. I do want to try learning how to cut and edit on my phone, but i have even less of an idea where to begin as far as choosing an app. It's gotta be BUT-simple, you understand...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:27 am

GeneratrixX wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:59 am
That's the thing. I have NO experience editing, meaning i never have before. I have a lot of audio footage that needs editing tho.
There are 3 aspects to audio. 1. Recording. 2. Mixing. 3. Mastering. If you have a poor recording, you will have a poor mix. Like all things in life, you must get step 1 right, before moving to step 2. In other words, using a audio editing program will only go as far as the quality of your original recording.
I am going to be embarking on teaching myself the bare rudiments of editing so i can clean up some amazing interviews i have gotten, and i have no one around me to ask stupid questions that will inevitably come up. I have tried using Audacity with the help of YouTube video tutorials but i always reach a point where i get stuck.
There really is no stupid question. We all have to start at one point, so we can advance to the next and so on. Audacity IS NOT a professional DAW. (Digital Audio Workstation). There are many things that will enhance your audio that Audacity just simply can not do.
I do want to try learning how to cut and edit on my phone, but i have even less of an idea where to begin as far as choosing an app. It's gotta be BUT-simple, you understand...
When you start to cut and edit audio files, it is referred to as being a part of mixing. Trying to mix on a cell phone is extremely difficult as well as time consuming. There are hundreds of DJ apps for androids as well as iPhones, but these apps are for audio files that have already been properly mixed and mastered. They are not designed to do this part of getting the audio file ready to be listened to.

I will send you my Dropbox link so you can upload me one of your audio files. I will send it via our PM system. This is the best way I can see just exactly what you are working with and how you may be able to edit it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic