Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Introduction and help request

Please introduce yourself here. You do not have to write a book, just tell everyone what you want to accomplish concerning audio recording. I also recommend that you take the time to fill out your profile. This way if you have a question, we can simple go to your profile and find out what gear you may be using.

Moderators: thestorygirl, Liz

IanGevaux
Operating System: Windows 10
Great Britain

Introduction and help request

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:23 am

Hello and pleased to be a member of these forums.
First off and essentially I'm a musician with limited computing knowledge.
I have purchased an entry level p.c. for home recording using Audacity as my DAW.
I have Line6 TonePort UX2 as my interface and Gearbox as interface software.
My issue is that gearbox is incompatible with windows 10 and, although it works to an extent, it's not ideal. Prone to crashing and glitching out at crucial moments!

What I would really appreciate is guidance on what free plugins to use instead of Gearbox and what settings to apply in them.

I need a vocal preamp I think too, unless there is free bundle software out there.

I have done countless searches but I am totally blinded by the science and jargon, and countless installs and confused on what settings to use.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as I'm getting rather frustrated. I just want to record music.

Thanks all.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:54 am

Hello and welcome to our community! I will do the best I can to answer your questions.
IanGevaux wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:23 am
Hello and pleased to be a member of these forums.
First off and essentially I'm a musician with limited computing knowledge.
I have purchased an entry level p.c. for home recording using Audacity as my DAW.
Audacity is not a DAW. It is great for making music cds, mixed tapes or simple home recordings. Their own website states:
Audacity is an easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Developed by a group of volunteers as open source.
I have Line6 TonePort UX2 as my interface and Gearbox as interface software. My issue is that gearbox is incompatible with windows 10 and, although it works to an extent, it's not ideal. Prone to crashing and glitching out at crucial moments!
Since gearbox is incompatible with windows 10, you really only have two choices. Install a version of windows that is compatible, or remove gearbox all together.
What I would really appreciate is guidance on what free plugins to use instead of Gearbox and what settings to apply in them.
What kind of plugins are you looking for? Guitar amps, cabs, power heads or a combination of both. EQs, reverb, peak limiters? There are thousands of plugins and since you are using Audacity, you can only use the ones that are made for 32bit systems.
I need a vocal preamp I think too, unless there is free bundle software out there.
Your line 6 is your preamp. If you are using a condenser mic, make sure you have the phantom power switched on. What is the make and model of the mics you are using?
I have done countless searches but I am totally blinded by the science and jargon, and countless installs and confused on what settings to use.
I have been at this for over 45 years and I also still need to look up phrases as well as how new gear compares to the old stuff I used to work with.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated as I'm getting rather frustrated. I just want to record music. Thanks all.
I can promise you that it will only take me a little research to help you get to the point of you being able to start recording. My first piece of advice is to quit using Audacity. If you give me a day or two, I will be able to help you out. Right now, I am moving and setting up my new house. I have been up for close to 50 hrs and I am exhausted. Again, welcome to the community!
:happy-jumpeveryone:
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

thestorygirl
Operating System: Windows 7
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Audacity :(
Mics: Blue Yeti :(
United States of America

Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Greetings! What sort of music genre are you in?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

IanGevaux
Great Britain

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi and thank you for your replies Dana and thestorygirl.
@ thestorygirl - Not really sure how to describe it, folky punk maybe, a little poppy...

Dana, I have downloaded Cakewalk and beginning to get results. However, there is massive latency unless I open gearbox as well. It's very odd.

Also, I have tried adding soft synth strings but I can't seem to either record them or get them to play back. I'm simply using my mouse to play the keyboard and they are sounding. This a routing issue?

I'm now using Hydrogen Drum Sequencer and I'm able to import that. I want to over dub acoustic, electric and bass guitars as well as vocals. I also want the ability to experiment with other sounds to like the aforementioned soft synths.

Am I getting somewhere? It feels like it but it also feels very slow going.

Thank you

Ian

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:35 am

Hey Ian, just so you know, I have no knowledge with Cakewalk. As far as the latency goes, you need to make sure that you have the ASIO file installed. It should have come with your software for your Line6 TonePort UX2. This file is used to keep latency to a 0 factor. Look under "Preferences" in cakewalk and make sure you have that file selected, and then make sure you have your Line6 TonePort UX2 selected as the "Output Device". You need to plug your headphones into the Line6 TonePort UX2. This is what it looks like in Reaper.

Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

IanGevaux
Great Britain

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Yep, all that is already done! There is still latency until I open gearbox.
While I'm here as well, another thing I would like to do is access the Midi instruments via a Casio keyboard I have. It has a USB socket. Can I, should I, be plugging this directly into my p.c. or into Toneport UX2 ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 am

IanGevaux wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm
Yep, all that is already done! There is still latency until I open gearbox.
If you plug in a mic or your guitar into your UX 2 and you have latency issues, you may have a bad unit. As far as your unit goes, they have discontinued your model. While this may have been done for several reasons, the biggest impact is they no longer give support for it. After doing some reading, it seems that many others are having the same issue and most of it is pointing to the use of Windows 10 or driver updates. You need to go here and read through this PDF file. Once you do this, if the problem still persist, all I can tell you to do, is to try and ask your questions on their own forum, as that is all they deal with.
While I'm here as well, another thing I would like to do is access the Midi instruments via a Casio keyboard I have. It has a USB socket. Can I, should I, be plugging this directly into my p.c. or into Toneport UX2 ?
If you want the Casio to act as a controller, you need to run it into the computer via the USB as far as I know. This is something I have never had the need to do, but I have been in studios that do it all the time. You need to read the instructions for Cakewalk to see how they recommend doing this.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic