Welcome to Home Recording Forum For Beginners. You must make your first post in the Introductions Forum after you Register! In till you do, you WILL NOT be able to post or reply in any other forum. After you make your introduction the entire board will be available for posting or replying. This is a countermeasure for spam bots.

Hello from an Italian friend

Please introduce yourself here. You do not have to write a book, just tell everyone what you want to accomplish concerning audio recording. I also recommend that you take the time to fill out your profile. This way if you have a question, we can simple go to your profile and find out what gear you may be using.

Moderators: thestorygirl, Liz

MarcoM
Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Italy

Re: Hello from an Italian friend

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Dana wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 pm
MarcoM wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:17 pm
I just visited your link Dana and I surfed around your whole website.
I loved it.
I would surely help you with your podcasts or whatever else you might propose to me.
Just give me more details.
And please give me some time to catch up with my "learning" ;-)
I would like for you to do my intro. I will do a recording as well as a written script. The recording is so you can get a feel for how I want it to sound. It will go something like this.
Welcome to the low country boil podcast show. Broadcasting live from D & L Recording Studio LLC, located 10 miles from beautiful Montross Va. Serving all of northern neck businesses as well as the people living here. We would like to give a special shout out to the Westmoreland County Museum, for all the hard work they do throughout our communities. Now sit back and relax and here is the host of the show, Dana, aka the magic man.
Sounds great! It would be my pleasure to record your intro, Dana.
Once you Will be ready with the recording and the script please forward it to me and give me instructions on how you would like my recording to sound like...and I Will do my Very best! ;)
I'm searching for a simple short story, free from copyright, one that as you said can be read in 10 /15 minutes and I Will record and send to you raw. Is that ok?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Italy

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Dana wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:04 pm
MarcoM wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Hi my friend.
I read your answer with deep interest and it sounds promising but I am pretty sure it is not so easy to setup just for one reason: setting up the LLC correspondent italian type of company in Italy is expensive and requires extensive fiscal duties and accountancy system. In order to at least break-even fixed costs I should produce a quite consistent turnover...which is far from realistic since I am in Italy...And Italy is not Usa regarding VO and audiobook industry. Should I read in English language? My English is very good but it is not my mother tongue. Would it be ok for you?
I know that there will be cost and I truly have no idea what they are in your country. In the USA, Virginia, it cost me $100.00 to apply and register my LLC with the State. Then it is another $100.00 for what is called a Articles of Organization for a Virginia Limited Liability Company. Then it is only $50.00 per year to keep it active. This is how it would work.

1. I look for the books/scripts.
2. I download the script for the audition.
3. I email you the script.
4. You record the script and send it back to me.
5. I bring the script to the proper specs.
6. I upload the script for the publisher to listen to.
7. They will either except it, or reject it.

If they except it, they will provide me with a complete manuscript that I would email to you. You record, I edit and produce. When it goes live, I will have a link to where it is on-line. When it sells, they pay me, then I pay you. Now, this is why you must have a company. At the end of the year, the ACX will send the IRS a form stating that they have paid me, x amount of dollars. They do this so they do not have to pay taxes on money, they paid to someone else. I am in that same boat. Anyway, it is just a thought.
Unfortunately, my friend, Italy is far different from USA about Companys setup and fiscal/legal duties. Our fiscal system is one of the most complicated Ines around and costs for setup and "routine" yearly administration are extremely far higher than those you quoted.
This project requires a keen study and competent advice from attorneys. Then a lot depends on the foreseeable turnover in order to judge if it is worth.
I started enquirying to ACX support, asking if it is possible (and how) to enter the ACX program from an Italian resident audiobook narrator. Let's see what they say and if something changed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
Operating System: Windows 8 & 10.
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW): Reaper, Hindenburg, Audacity.
Mics: Shure SM7b, SM 57 & 58, ATR 2100, AKG P120, AT Pro 70.
Digital Recorder: Tascam DR-40, Zoom H6.
United States of America

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:32 am

MarcoM wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:40 pm
I started inquiring to ACX support, asking if it is possible (and how) to enter the ACX program from an Italian resident audiobook narrator. Let's see what they say and if something changed.
I hope you have better luck then I did. All I got was, "At this time we are only excepting auditions for Narrators from XYZ Countries". We should be able to figure something out. I found an article for you to read if you want to. It is located here. No rush but make sure you add your name as well as location. "The following article is read by Marco (You can add your last name if you wish, it is up to you) from Florence Italy, for D & L Recording Studio LLC, located just outside of Beautiful Montross Virginia".
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Italy

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:45 am

Yes Dana. We will surely find a way out from this weird black-hole.
In the meanwhile, I will be happy to read the article you provided me with.
Hopefully I would do that even tomorrow.
I am looking forward to start over again with something I love. Reading and working on audio in order to produce a first-class result.
I don't care If I cannot get any money for that for the time being, it is enough for me to let someone enjoy my voice and maybe get pleasure and amusement by that.
I still have my subscription for Adobe Audition running and I hope all my presets and plugins are still saved in my preferences.
I will have to re-learn the chain you suggested me regarding noise control,....loudness...and so on.
I am looking forward to doing that.
Thanks my friend.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:51 am

MarcoM wrote:
I still have my subscription for Adobe Audition running and I hope all my presets and plugins are still saved in my preferences.
I will have to re-learn the chain you suggested me regarding noise control,....loudness...and so on.
Thanks my friend.
Thank you so much. For now, just record at a -18db input level at 44.1Hz in the wav format. I will send you my Dropbox link via the Private Message system. The only thing you need to edit, is any mistakes when reading, if any. Then just upload the raw file to me, via the link I will provide. I will take care of the rest. Thanks, Dana.
Mixing & Mastering is Simple WHEN Your Recording Is Within The Specs! RECORD PROPERLY & MASTER LIGHTLY My Gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Italy

Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:01 am

Dana wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:51 am
MarcoM wrote:
Thanks my friend.
Thank you so much. For now, just record at a -18db input level at 44.1Hz in the wav format. I will send you my Dropbox link via the Private Message system. The only thing you need to edit, is any mistakes when reading, if any. Then just upload the raw file to me, via the link I will provide. I will take care of the rest. Thanks, Dana.
Ok Dana.
Just one question. Mono recording, ok?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 pm

My apologizes my friend. Always mono. Since I will be hosting my own audio files, I try and keep them as small as I can. There will be times when I will be adding music in, but it is what it is, for a Podcast anyway. I am going to use the same bit rate as the NPR. Sound engineers have debated this for years and I am on NPRs side. (National Public Radio). If you Google NPR, listen their audio. It sounds great! Most of them say it is because they have $100,000 studios and I say, bull crap! It is because they have a nice recording environment, (think walk-in closet), as well as people who know how to product their audio. -18 input level will never let you clip your audio.

This is from a 12 year old young man, playing his Daddy's flat top 6 string acoustic in my unfinished studio. SM 57 mic, -18db input into Reaper, 44.1Hz, Wav. Rendered to mp3, 64kbps. You be the judge. The pics below show the two different file sizes, between 64 and 320kbps. Look where it says "Size".

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Italy

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm

This recording is wonderful Dana. Really.
Have you received my file? Do you like it?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:03 pm

MarcoM wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm
This recording is wonderful Dana. Really.
Have you received my file? Do you like it?
I already put it in the community and launched it with iTunes. When you first sign in to the forum. Just scroll down to the bottom. If you see a forum that is red, it means that a post has been made, since your last visit. You can check it out here. You did a wonderful job my friend. It has already been heard by over 500 people. viewtopic.php?p=365#p365

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarcoM
Italy

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:04 am

Hi Dana,
I just listened to the first County Boil Podcast and man...it sounds soooooo good!
I thank you so much for your nice and kind words.
I hope visitors of the site and you like my voice and the accent that my spoken English words have.
The Podcast is Very nice! Good job

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic